Yemen government says Houthi missiles kill at least four civilians in port city

ht-generic_world1_1751287525434_1751287534519-1

Houthi Missiles Strike Yemen Port City, Killing Four Civilians

Bharatmorningnews.com – Yemen government says Houthi missiles have caused civilian casualties in the Red Sea port city of Mocha. According to official reports from Yemen’s internationally recognized government, six ballistic missiles were launched by Houthi forces on Friday, resulting in four deaths among local residents. This attack represents a notable escalation in the ongoing conflict between the Iran-aligned Houthi movement and its Saudi-backed opponents.

The timing of this incident comes amid heightened regional tensions related to the broader U.S.-Israeli conflict involving Iran. The Houthis have established themselves as a key player in this regional struggle, potentially paving the way for renewed large-scale warfare within Yemen’s borders.

Impact on Port Infrastructure and Civilian Areas

Government-aligned military forces reported that the missile barrage primarily targeted civilian infrastructure and national assets situated at the port. Initial reports indicated that four civilians perished in the attack, while several fishing vessels caught fire and were damaged.

The Houthi movement, on the other hand, claimed that their missiles struck what they described as Saudi-backed military concentrations, weapons storage facilities, and warships belonging to both Saudi forces and allied “mercenaries” stationed in Mocha. Houthi officials stated that the assault destroyed multiple boats and military equipment during the operation.

In a related development, the Houthi-operated SABA news agency quoted a military source who claimed the group used a drone to target an Aramco facility in the Saudi city of Najran. The source explained that this operation was conducted as retaliation for Saudi military aircraft entering the airspace above Yemen’s northeastern Saada governorate. However, the report did not specify the exact target or confirm whether it sustained any damage.

Recent Pattern of Escalation

These reported incidents follow a noticeable uptick in confrontations between the Houthis and Yemen’s recognized government. Just one day prior, on Thursday, the Houthis declared they had launched two drones against an Aramco refinery situated in Saudi Arabia’s Jazan region.

Earlier in the conflict timeline, on July 20, the Houthis proclaimed a naval blockade targeting Saudi Arabia within the Red Sea waters. They justified this action as a countermeasure to what they termed a Saudi siege of Yemen—an accusation that Riyadh firmly rejects. In response, a Saudi-led coalition conducted aerial bombardments against what it identified as Houthi military installations in the port city of Hodeidah, citing threats to commercial maritime traffic.

Yemen has endured continuous conflict since the Houthis captured the capital city of Sanaa in 2014, which subsequently triggered a Saudi-led military intervention the following year. While major combat operations largely diminished under a United Nations-brokered ceasefire agreement in 2022, progress toward establishing a durable political resolution has encountered significant obstacles.

Frequently Asked Questions

How many civilians were killed in the Houthi missile attack? Four civilians lost their lives when Houthi forces launched six ballistic missiles at the port city of Mocha on Friday.

What was the Houthi movement’s stated justification for the attack? The Houthis claimed they struck Saudi-backed military concentrations, weapons stockpiles, and warships in Mocha, describing the targets as military rather than civilian.

When did the Houthis establish their naval blockade of Saudi Arabia? On July 20, the Houthis announced a naval blockade targeting Saudi Arabia within the Red Sea waters as a response to what they called a Saudi siege of Yemen.

What happened in the days leading up to this attack? On Thursday, just one day before the Mocha attack, the Houthis declared they had launched two drones against an Aramco refinery in Saudi Arabia’s Jazan region.

प्रातिक्रिया दे

आपका ईमेल पता प्रकाशित नहीं किया जाएगा. आवश्यक फ़ील्ड चिह्नित हैं *