BharatMorningNews
Fast mobile article powered by Nexiamath-SEO AMP.
AMP Article

US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for four days in the Pacific

Published अगस्त 19, 2026 · Updated अगस्त 19, 2026 · By John Johnson - bharatmorningnews.com

Foto : John Johnson - bharatmorningnews.com

US Navy Destroyer with 300 Sailors Stranded in Pacific

Bharatmorningnews.com – A US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard lost every electrical system in the middle of the Pacific Ocean on July 24, leaving the crew of the guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold without power, water, food, or climate control for four consecutive days. The vessel was eventually towed to Subic Bay, Philippines, by ships attached to the USS George Washington carrier strike group, and departed the port on August 8 after engineers restored all engineering, combat, and crew-support systems to full operational status.

Four Days Without Basic Shipboard Services

Navy spokesman Cmdr. Matthew Comer described the ordeal in a formal release, confirming that the Benfold suffered an engineering casualty involving its generators. For the entire duration of the outage, sailors had no drinking water, no prepared meals, no functioning sanitation facilities, and no air conditioning. Comer stressed that no crew member was physically injured and praised the men and women aboard for maintaining discipline and mutual support throughout the multi-day ordeal.

"They demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism, and unwavering steadiness in their response," Comer told reporters.

Relief arrived on July 28 when elements of the George Washington strike group reached the disabled destroyer and performed a tow into Philippine territorial waters. Once alongside at Subic Bay, the crew was transferred ashore for food, rest, and medical screening while shore-based technicians worked through the generator failure over the following days.

Readiness Scrutiny and a Carrier Gap in the Western Pacific

The episode involving the US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors first reached the public on Friday via USNI News, landing squarely in the middle of a heated Pentagon debate over living conditions aboard deployed warships and the Navy's ability to sustain vessels through the ongoing conflict with Iran. The timing amplified existing congressional pressure: Democratic lawmakers had already called for formal inquiries into conditions on the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln, which had logged a record 250 consecutive days at sea before facing reported shortages of food and hygiene supplies alongside elevated crew stress and deteriorating mental-health indicators.

Compounding the readiness picture, the George Washington strike group—including the carrier itself—was tracked heading toward the Middle East while the Benfold sat in Subic Bay awaiting repairs. Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao told reporters the previous week that the Lincoln would be returning home in the near term, with the George Washington expected to assume its forward-deployment role. That rotation leaves the Western Pacific without a U.S. carrier presence for an indeterminate period. Under the current administration, Beijing is framed as "a settled force" to be deterred from regional dominance rather than treated as the principal global adversary it was under the prior administration.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long was the US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors without power? The USS Benfold was dark for four full days, from the July 24 generator failure until the tow arrived on July 28. Repairs were completed in Subic Bay, and the ship sailed again on August 8 with all systems restored.

Were any sailors injured during the breakdown? No. Cmdr. Matthew Comer confirmed that no crew member was physically hurt. The Navy publicly credited the sailors with maintaining professionalism and composure throughout the multi-day ordeal.

What caused the power loss? The Navy described the incident as an engineering casualty involving the ship's generators. Specific mechanical details were not released to the public.

Which ship provided the tow? Ships attached to the USS George Washington carrier strike group performed the tow into Philippine waters on July 28, after which the Benfold remained in port for repairs.

Related Reading