BharatMorningNews
Fast mobile article powered by Nexiamath-SEO AMP.
AMP Article

Trump cuts South Korea military drills after ‘GREAT’ Kim Jong Un post. An Iran angle at play

Published अगस्त 17, 2026 · Updated अगस्त 17, 2026 · By Elizabeth Taylor - bharatmorningnews.com

Foto : Elizabeth Taylor - bharatmorningnews.com

Trump Cuts South Korea Drills After Kim Photo

Bharatmorningnews.com – Trump cuts South Korea military drills by hours before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was set to begin on August 17. President Donald Trump ordered a sharp reduction in scope, citing his personal rapport with Kim Jong Un — a bond he had publicly celebrated just a day earlier with a nostalgic side-by-side photograph posted to Truth Social.

The Photo That Reshaped a Military Schedule

On Saturday, Trump shared an image of himself alongside the North Korean leader, pairing it with a caption dripping with self-congratulation:

"Despite the unfriendly look on we're smiling, Kim Jong Un and I get along GREAT!"

By Monday, that displayed warmth had hardened into a directive aimed at Washington's own defence machinery. Trump instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to "substantially reduce" the joint manoeuvres, which he characterised as expensive and provocative toward Pyongyang.

"Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea."

A complete cancellation was, by his own admission, no longer possible once the operation had been set in motion. The scaled-back version would nonetheless proceed under his explicit orders.

The Iran Angle and Allied Friction

The president did not confine his remarks to the Korean Peninsula. On Sunday he disclosed that he had asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul would join Washington's push toward what Trump called the "Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran." The answer, per the president's telling, was an unambiguous refusal.

"I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, 'No thanks!'"

The exchange extended a recurring pattern of public friction between Trump and allied capitals over their willingness to back Washington's Iran posture.

Scope of the Exercise and Seoul's Response

Ulchi Freedom Shield runs from August 17 through August 27 and is built to prepare American and South Korean units for a hypothetical North Korean assault. Approximately 18,000 personnel from both militaries participate, with emphasis on counter-drone operations, GPS-jamming scenarios, and cyber-attack defence. The United States stations roughly 28,500 service members on the peninsula at any given time.

Seoul's defence ministry, as reported by AP, stated that the exercises had already commenced and would "proceed as previously notified and scheduled" — a signal that the South Korean side had not yet adjusted its posture to match the reduced scope Trump ordered.

Pyongyang's Reaction and Broader Security Posturing

North Korea has long framed the annual drills as rehearsal for invasion. Its foreign ministry, speaking on Friday via Reuters, escalated the rhetoric further, describing the trilateral military cooperation among Washington, Tokyo, and Seoul as morphing into a "nuclear alliance."

"The US-Japan-South Korea military cooperation is turning into a nuclear alliance, and North Korea will respond to a new level of threat with a new level of deterrent."

Pyongyang also stressed that this year's edition differed from prior iterations, concentrating on what it called "new aspects of modern warfare." On August 12, South Korea's military reported that the North had launched a suspected ballistic missile toward the East Sea.

Expert Skepticism

Lim Eul-chul, a North Korea specialist at Kyungnam University, told AFP that a partial reduction would carry little weight in Pyongyang's calculus.

"The North will only view it as meaningful if the joint exercises are cancelled in their entirety rather than scaled back. It has little reason to see this as meaningful."

He added that he doubted Kim would issue any immediate public response to the move.

Historical Context

The last face-to-face meeting between Trump and Kim took place in 2019. Subsequent negotiations over North Korea's nuclear programme collapsed without agreement, leaving the two leaders' relationship as a largely rhetorical construct — one that, on this occasion, reshaped a live military schedule within a single weekend.

FAQ

When was the drill reduction ordered? Trump directed the scale-back hours before the exercise was scheduled to launch on August 17, 2025.

How many troops are involved in Ulchi Freedom Shield? Roughly 18,000 personnel from the U.S. and South Korean militaries participate in the August 17–27 exercise.

Did Seoul agree to the reduced scope? Seoul's defence ministry said the exercises would "proceed as previously notified and scheduled," indicating no immediate adjustment on the South Korean side.

What did Trump say about Iran? He claimed he asked President Lee Jae Myung to join a "Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran" initiative and was told "No thanks."

When did Trump and Kim last meet in person? Their final face-to-face meeting occurred in 2019; subsequent nuclear talks ended without agreement.

Related Reading