Vacancy at Bombay House: How Tata will find Chandrasekaran’s replacement, and what awaits the successor
Charting the Course for Tata Sons' Next Chairman
Bharatmorningnews.com – Natarajan Chandrasekaran's choice to step down from his third stint as Tata Sons chairman—revealed on Wednesday, mere days ahead of the holding firm's annual general meeting on Tuesday—has surfaced a long-avoided inquiry. The conglomerate now faces a pivotal question: who will steer the salt-to-software empire following February 2027, and under what conditions?
The mechanism for this transition is outlined in Article 118 of Tata Sons' Articles of Association. This provision mandates the formation of a five-person selection committee whenever the Tata Trusts maintain ownership of at least 40 percent of the paid-up ordinary capital. Currently, the trusts command 65.9 percent of this capital, distributed among thirteen charitable entities. Two of these—the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust (SDTT) and the Sir Ratan Tata Trust (SRTT)—control the majority share.
According to a statement from Tata Trusts, the SDTT approved a resolution on Thursday to establish this committee "as soon as possible."
Committee Composition and Decision-Making
The selection panel will consist of five individuals. Three positions are jointly filled by nominations from both SDTT and SRTT. One seat belongs to a representative from the Tata Sons board, while the fifth is an independent external member appointed by the board itself.
The two trusts also determine the committee's chairperson from among their three nominees. For the panel to function properly, a majority of the Trust-nominated members must be present during proceedings.
However, the committee's role is advisory. The ultimate authority for appointment lies with the Tata Sons board, as specified in Article 121.
This separation of powers may prove significant, given that the board has been the arena for recent tensions. The current Tata Sons board includes Chandrasekaran, Noel Tata, TVS Motor Company chairman emeritus Venu Srinivasan, group chief financial officer Saurabh Agrawal, and independent directors Harish Manwani and Anita Marangoly George.
Noel Tata's Potential Unavailability
Noel Tata, who serves as chairman of the Tata Trusts and whose reported disagreements with Chandrasekaran may have influenced the resignation, might not assume the chairmanship himself.
In 2022, Tata Sons revised its Articles to divide the two chairmanship roles. According to Business Standard, the updated regulations prohibit the chair of either SDTT or SRTT from simultaneously leading Tata Sons.
Noel Tata holds the chairmanship of both trusts individually. Additionally, he will reach age 70 in November, triggering the group's mandatory retirement age for non-executive directors. This deadline places responsibility for initiating succession planning on the Tata Sons board.
Tata Steel chief executive TV Narendran stands among the leading contenders to lead the conglomerate.
Succession Planning Gaps Revealed
Live Mint observed that Chandrasekaran's departure "put the spotlight on the group's lack of succession planning." The outlet noted that Noel Tata initially raised the matter with Manwani, who chairs Tata Sons' three-member nomination and remuneration committee (NRC), in January 2025.
Manwani "responded positively" and indicated the committee would investigate, according to two executives quoted by the newspaper. When Noel Tata revisited the issue in February 2026, no definitive response emerged.
Kavil Ramachandran, an ISB professor of entrepreneurship (practice), told LiveMint the NRC "might not have felt the need" for a formal succession exercise when continuation of the incumbent was assumed. In hindsight, he said, it looked "bad for everybody".
In July 2025, the two principal Trusts had already approved a third term for Chandrasekaran and relaxed the retirement-age criterion to permit his continuation past his 65th birthday.
Historical Precedents and Recent Challenges
Tata Sons has experienced boardroom upheaval before. Cyrus Mistry, named deputy chairman in November 2011 and elevated to chairman in December 2012, was ousted during an October 2016 boardroom confrontation. PTI reported that this episode erased approximately $9 billion from the combined market value of Tata's listed companies at the time. The Mistry controversy led to years of legal proceedings, which the Supreme Court ultimately settled in Tata's favor in March 2021. The court also reviewed Article 118 during this process.
Between the Mistry incident and the current situation, additional governance challenges emerged. In September 2025, Tata Sons director Vijay Singh was removed after four of seven trustees opposed his continued nomination. Trustee Mehli Mistry's renewal on the SDTT and SRTT boards also failed to secure unanimous approval.
Venu Srinivasan, both a Tata Sons director and a key figure in the boardroom dynamics, remains central to these developments as the conglomerate navigates this transitional period.
Related Reading
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Vacancy at Bombay House?Vacancy at Bombay House is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.
Why does Vacancy at Bombay House matter?Vacancy at Bombay House matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.